Help to Buy Mortgages

When you are looking to buy a new home, it is important to consider all of the different options that are available. And this means thinking hard about what you can do to get the right mortgage to take things forward in the right way. This is why so many people these days are looking at using help to buy mortgage options. If this is something that seems to appeal to you, then you need to know what you’re dealing with.

What Affects Your Application?

Learn what else impacts your HTB application. So, you need a deposit size of at least 5%, but you can certainly come up with a larger deposit if you find this viable. Of course, it won’t be possible to achieve a 100% loan to value (LTV) mortgage through your HTB scheme. But, a 95& to 35% LTV would certainly be possible. Have a look at what other options are available; some schemes allow for a guarantor, while there are also banks that provide similar HTB options.

If you are keen to find out more about help to buy and get the right outcome for you, then we suggest you get in touch with us as soon as possible. Our knowledgeable and dedicated team can work with you to calculate the best mortgage rates to fit with your deposit. We can also fill you in on the possible limitations you may encounter so that you are perfectly placed to make the most of this.

What is a Help to Buy Mortgage?

A Help to Buy mortgage is a government scheme that is designed to help first-time buyers secure a mortgage when they might otherwise not be able to. As part of the help to buy scheme, potential buyers only have to come up with a 5% deposit, making this a much more affordable and achievable prospect for buyers. An equity loan and shared ownership are two of the best schemes to use, and you should also look to use a Help to Buy ISA to save for your home.

Equity Loan

The equity loan is where you pay 5% of the deposit, and the government pays in a further 20%, making a total of 25% (for Londoners the government will pay 40%). The scheme only applies to new-builds up to a purchase price of £600,000, and the loan is interest-free for the first five years. The 20% the government contributed will need to be paid back once you sell the property, so make sure you keep this in mind, though you can also pay back the loan in instalments before then.

Shared Ownership

Shared ownership is similar in the sense that it is designed for people who cannot afford the entirety of their mortgage. The way it works is that you pay between 25%-75% of the value of the home, and then you pay rent on the remaining share. Once you are in a better financial situation later on, you can purchase a bigger percentage of the home.

Are You Eligible?

Understanding whether you are eligible for the help to buy (HTB) mortgage is important, so you need to know what the parameters are. You don’t have to be a first-time buyer, as long as you haven’t used the scheme before in the past. If you’re a homeowner, you need to have a sale in place on your current home, and the scheme is only applicable to new-build homes. The equity loan cannot be used for buy to let properties, and you’ll need to clear the loan before being allowed to sublet.



Click here to access your credit report.

This link will take you to a 3rd Party website. Neither Blue Strawberry Financial Services Limited nor PRIMIS Mortgage Network is responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the linked site